A perfect lawn starts with a simple soil test, according to Tammy Lawrence, founder and president of organic fertilizer producer Turf Revolution.
“Homeowners and gardeners spend small fortunes for a perfect lawn every year. Many people end up disappointed, simply because they don’t start with a soil test. It’s the first step toward a great lawn and it’s the one that most people either don’t know or forget about,” Lawrence said.
In an effort to convince homeowners and gardeners to test their soil, Lawrence has released a top 10 list of reasons to get your soil tested. She is also offering mail-in soil tests, conducted by an independent laboratory, through the Turf Revolution web site at http://www.turfrevolution.com/TR_soiltest.html
The top 10 list:
1. Soil testing saves you time and money. Guesswork can be costly and time consuming. The lab tells you what your lawn needs. Instead of overspending on fertilizers or trying something new every season, you will now know exactly what products to use and how much of them to use.
2. Soil testing is an effective way to control weeds, insects and disease without pesticides. Many of these pests are the result of nutrient imbalances or other problems in the soil. Soil testing is the only way to identify and correct these problems. You can prevent the pests before they get started.
3. Not all lawns are created equal. The soil beneath your lawn may be substantially different from the soil beneath your neighbour’s. It is affected the type of trees in your yard as well as the geological properties of the area. Many retailers carry products manufactured in other parts of the country for other types of soil. The only way you be sure they’re right for your lawn is a soil test.
4. You want to get rid of spots in your lawn. We’ve all had those spots in our lawns that just don’t want to grow. A soil test will identify the problem and better yet, provide you with the solution.
5. You can track your progress. Performing a soil test every two years will allow you to see how you’re improving the soil beneath your lawn. Watch as pH levels and nutrients are slowly optimized for your lawn’s growth.
6. Soil tests are good for the environment. With a soil test, you’ll know exactly how much fertilizer to use, reducing or eliminating run off that finds its way into our waterways.
7. Soil tests are easy. Soil tests are available from a number of independent labs. Turf Revolution has made it easy to get your soil tested by offering Soil Test Kits that are easy to use and even easier to understand. It’s like having your own personal laboratory helping you take care of your lawn. Our kits give you that power. They really are science made simple.
8. Soil tests are inexpensive. Turf Revolution offers postage-paid soil test kits that are less expensive that getting a soil test done in a lab.
9. The results are from independent labs. The results from Turf Revolution’s soil tests are from an independent, accredited laboratory. Turf revolution never sees your results nor can we influence the lab. They only care about helping your lawn and their recommendations will be based upon what’s best for your lawn and not for our bottom line. To maintain their accreditation their recommendations are based only upon science.
10. You’ll have the best lawn on the street this year. By focusing on what your lawn really needs, it will be thicker, darker and more beautiful than ever before. Imagine being the envy of your neighbourhood. Make soil testing your key to success. “Whether you get your soil tested with one of our mail in Soil Test Kits or at another independent lab, I urge everyone to do it. It’s the simplest and least expensive investment you can make in your lawn and you’ll love the results,” Lawrence said.